We all rely on our small businesses to feed, clothe and entertain us. But small businesses do much more than help us meet our basic needs. They create jobs, support livelihoods and support other local businesses. They make our high streets distinct, they create inviting spaces for us to spend quality time with family and friends and they bring innovation, so we can get the most out of life.
So for Small Business Saturday on 6th December, let’s give a little love back to them by supporting, inspiring and promoting Lambeth’s small businesses!
We’re doing our part by waiving our normal parking charges for on-street parking across the borough on 6 December.
You can get involved by:
1. Shopping on your local high street
2. Chatting to your shopkeepers; next time you’re looking that something special, tell them – you may just inspire a whole new range!
3. Encourage your friends to shop local too, by tweeting photos of yourself leading by example to @LambethSbs using #SmallBizSatUK
Businesses in town centres across Lambeth are getting involved in Small Business Saturday. Here are a few highlights:
• The Loughborough Junction Business Association is hosting a market showcasing the talents of local artists and designers. It will offer a mix of handmade art, craft and great food for your Christmas shopping!
• Streatham’s Business Improvement District is launching the Lights On! Streatham Campaign, for which artists have created bespoke installations for participating businesses. The event will incorporate the Saturday market on Streatham Green where discounted stall rates will be available for local businesses, makers and entrepreneurs.
• Clapham will have a new market outside the library.
• In Brixton, market traders and the Brixton Pound (B£) are joining forces to run all sorts of activities on the day. But why wait until the 6th to get involved, when you can refer your friends and family to B£ for a chance to win B£250 to spend on Small Business Saturday?
• The Small Business Saturday bus visits The Cut in Waterloo on 3 December.
• The Saturday market on Lower Marsh lights up on 6 December and you’re invited to enjoy promotions and special offers throughout Waterloo during the festive period.
• And in West Norwood and Tulse Hill, enjoy the newly illumined Christmas lights, indulge in mulled wine and take advantage of special offers from small businesses. The day will also include a 2.00pm ceremony dedicating a plaque and sapling to the fallen heroes of WWI.
If you are (or would like to be) a small business, there’s plenty for you to get involved in too:
• Want to learn how to access new markets? Come to a free business breakfast at the Satay Bar, Coldharbour Lane, in Brixton on 4th December between 8.30am – 10.30am.
• If you’re a small business looking for a flexible workspace, or just want to network and get advice and inspiration from follow entrepreneurs, Impact Hub Brixton could be just the place for you.
• Find out how you can benefit from Lambeth’s regeneration projects by getting on the supply chain with our contractors, partners and large businesses.
• Follow @Lambeth_business and your BID or local business association on twitter:
Local business associations:
Loughborough Junction @ LJAGgers1
West Norwood @westnorwoodbiz
To find out more about Small Business Saturday events in Lambeth email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’ve not done so already, sign up to our business newsletter and get Lambeth’s latest business news direct to your inbox.
Best wishes and shop locally!
Cllr Jack Hopkins
Cabinet Member for Jobs and Growth